The standard process for asking for a clock extension needs to go through an assessment and recommendation by the chair on that faculty member’s behalf to the Office of Faculty Affairs. The faculty member needs to provide explicit statements regarding how the event/situation negatively impacted their ability to progress in their work/research. Information about initial start date, reasons for delay, etc. would need to be provided.  In other words, what makes these cases special…different from everyone else with the same circumstances?  This would be submitted to the chair who would then assess whether this explanation has merit. The chair would then decide if they supported this request and if so, the request would be submitted to the Office of Faculty Affairs for review.